Financial Aid and Scholarships

Work-Study pic

UMKC Work-Study

UMKC participates in the Federal Work-Study Program, which provides funding for part-time student jobs both on campus and off. In order to receive a Work-Study award, you must apply using the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid, found at, be eligible according to federal standards, be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours for undergraduate students, 5 credit hours for graduate students), and be making Satisfactory Academic Progress. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will award Work-Study to students as part of their financial aid package. Students will know they have been awarded Work-Study by an award notification, and the amount of the award is the maximum amount the student can earn within that academic year or Summer period. Students not awarded Work-Study may submit a written request for it to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

Current Information about Work-Study

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Federal Work-Study?

How do I get it?

How is eligibility determined?

How do I get the money?

How many hours a week do I work?

When can I start working?

Is my major a factor in getting a work-study job?

What if I do not earn the full amount of my award?

What if I cannot find a job?

What kind of work-study jobs are available?

Can I get benefits?

Can I study at my job?

How do I submit a time sheet?

What is the pay schedule?

Where can I find more information?

Work-Study Supervisors

If you are a Work-Study supervisor, you will need a copy of the Federal Work-Study Handbook and also be given access to the Federal Work-Study Management Site. If you need any assistance with either of these, please contact the Federal Work-Study Coordinator in the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

Work-Study Guides

Finding A Work-Study Position

Jobs for each semester are posted for students to view a couple of weeks before the beginning of Summer and Fall semesters. You may access the Work-Study job database via your home computer or any UMKC computer lab.

ATTENTION: If you are returning to the same position you had during Spring semester, you must have an offer of employment from your department and you must have been offered, and accepted on Pathway, a separate Work-Study award for Summer in order to work. For important work-study dates and other information, please view the Work-Study Handbook.


Applying for a Work-Study Position

  1. Go to
  2. Find the Roo Career Network section of the website and click the Log in link in the "Current Student" section. *
  3. Use your UMKC Single Sign On (SSO) to log into the Roo Career Network (If you have any issues with access to Roo Career Network contact Career Services at 816-235-1636)
  4. Click Jobs at the top of the page and find UMKC Work-Study Jobs in the drop down.
  5. You will be re-directed to the Work-Study system where you will need to login with your UMKC SSO and password.
  6. Select the positions that you wish to apply for and contact the supervisors directly to set up an interview. Supervisors will not be viewing resumes posted on the website.
  7. Interview with supervisors until you accept a job.

* New students must attend Orientation and register for classes before a Roo Career Network account is created.

** If you are unable to complete any of the steps in selecting a Work-Study position, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (816) 235-1154.

What to do when you are hired

After you are hired you must take your Social Security Card (required) and one of the following documents to your supervisor:

  • U.S. Passport
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card
  • Driver License
  • ID Card from Federal, State or Local Agency
  • School ID Card with Photo
  • Voter Registration Card
  • U.S. Military Card
  • Native American Tribal Document

In addition to the items listed above, you must bring with you a voided check (not a deposit slip) or letter from your bank verifying your bank routing number and account number. This is required for direct deposit of your paycheck. Your supervisor will provide you with all necessary hiring paperwork, which must be completed prior to beginning work.

FAFSA Information

Student Veterans Virtual Resource Center